Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Why this Republican is Voting for Clinton

I am not oblivious to events in the US.  Social Media does not allow me to be.  Over the course of the past few months, dealing with things in Rwanda, watching the hate spew like a long dormant volcano I have simply chosen to focus on the issues directly affecting my life here.  

I thought I could do that, however, with the Orlando shootings, the black men shot by police, the police shot in Dallas there was no more compartmentalizing it.  I do want to go home at some point.  I will always be an American by birth and in my heart.  My heart breaks for my country most days.  

This morning I woke up and saw President Obama had given a speech at the memorial service of the fallen police officers from the recent Dallas protest.  I generally don't watch speeches.  From the mouth of my favorite Rwandan child, Jonathan, it is just more blah blah blah.  I saw all the nasty comments back and forth "analyzing" Obama's speech.  And so I listened to it.  All 41 minutes.  It was the best, most hopeful 41 minutes I've had for my country in so long I cannot even remember.  

If you haven't listened to it, do so.


I did not vote for Obama either election.  I am Republican and have been my whole life.  I am fiscally conservative and mostly middle of the road when it comes to social issues.  I think government has gotten too big and mostly run by special interests...on both sides of the aisle.  The government of the people is now government of the banks and big businesses.  Don't believe me?  Watch the Big Short.  I was one of the millions of victims of the 2008/09 housing crisis.  

I believe in term limits for ALL elected officials.  The House and Senate need a thorough house cleaning.  For whatever faults real or imagined by Obama from his opposition and even within his own party, frankly his hands were tied by the real "rulers" of the country, the legislature.  Need proof?  How about the Senate rejecting four gun bills after the Orlando shootings?

I am so over the gun issue in the US.  I have owned guns and would own a gun again should I live in Wyoming but we cannot stand back and live with the current state of gun violence in the US.  No where in the world, currently not at war, are there so many deaths, accidental or premeditated, by guns.  

However, for 41 minutes this morning, I had hope.  There was nothing in his speech which was negative, accusatory or predicating an us vs. them mentality.  I felt his grief.  I believe in his heart he feels he has let his country down.  

He is right about racism in America.  We have come a long way.  We have a black President which wouldn't have been possible even 30 years ago.  We have made progress, but I will never know what it feels like to be a black man in America.  I know what it feels to be discriminated against due to my gender.  It sucks, but generally I will not die for it or because of it.  I will just lose jobs or positions or never have respect for the work I do.  

Today I decided I would vote for Hilary Clinton.  This speech was the deciding factor.  I have gone back and forth mentally too many times to count.  I am not a Hilary fan, never have been, probably never will.  If I vote for the Libertarian candidate I essentially split the democratic vote.  I cannot risk that.  Because for all of the, for lack of a better word, "blech" I feel about Clinton I refuse to have more of the same hate filled rhetoric jammed down my throat by Donald Trump and his ever increasingly hateful group of followers.  

I want the America Obama talks about in this speech.  He quoted from Ezekiel 36:26, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you;  I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."

I want to believe America can be great again.  I want to believe we can stop the gun violence.  I want to believe all races can come together.  I want to believe the police will protect and not abuse their power.  100% unrealistic for 100% of the country.  But, I know, to the core of my soul, it will not improve at all under Trump.  It will get worse.

I will not stand by my party and vote for the Republican nominee simply because of allegiance to a party and shame on you Republicans who do.  If you vote for Trump because you believe in his ability to be President that is your choice.  But if you vote for Trump because he's Republican then you are not exercising your right to vote, the right so many people gave their lives for you to have.

Republican Party....if you want me to come back and vote Republican, you need to do better...WAY BETTER than a candidate like Trump.  Stop your infighting and get back to basics and give us people who will bring the country together and not tear it apart.

Do I believe Hilary Clinton can bring America together?  I honestly don't know.  But I do know, Trump won't.  

President Obama you made me proud to be an American today....thank you from the other side of the world!
**I will not tolerate any political bashing back and forth on this blog.  If you have a point you are free to make it, state it with intelligent backed dialogue.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your fearless thoughts. In a tight space we must still make choices for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep up the good work you do!

    and thank you for being clear-eyed and forthright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a couple of comments. First, thank you for making a rational decision based on facts. Some across the political spectrum don't. Second, the demonization of Hillary started from the first day BC took the oath of office in 1993 when HC stood up for universal health care. It's one thing to have a cogent debate about the pros and cons of an issue. It's another thing to make your chief strategy demonization based on lies to discredit your opponent, bolstered by a constant RW radio 24/7 propaganda machine. Every "scandal" involving HC over the years has been debunked, Rose billing records, commodities trading, Vince Foster, travelgate, Benghazi, etc., etc., all after spending well over $150 million and hundreds of highly qualified attorneys and investigators went over all the evidence, absolutely nothing was ever found to back up those claims/lies about anything they claimed HC did. Nothing. Yet the RNC, even today, highlights those stories as if they were, in fact, true and there was never any investigations. The latest scandal is over portions of three emails that were marked with a C in the margin out of over 30,000 emails. But the damage has been done, which was the primary purpose, to paint HC as somehow dishonest because of all those "scandals". No one is perfect and there are more than one occasion where she has rubbed people the wrong way because of her attitude or comments, but that being said, she is by far the most qualified candidate running in this race. The alternative is scary to contemplate, and that's not just a word I'm throwing out there. A Trump presidency is truly a scary thought. If he were running as a dem, which he was for most of his life, I would never vote for him either. It's not about the little letter in front of their name, it's about what's best for the country, and the world.

    ReplyDelete