Thursday, October 25, 2012

Storylane: Where Do You See Yourself in 5 Years? 20 Years

I received an invitation to this website,  Storylane

I decided to give it a try...perhaps it would start and keep me writing me.  The very first day, I receive a request to answer the question in the title.  So, I did:

No Where Near Where I Thought I Would Be


I've always been a goal setter...my entire life.

My grand plan at the age of 21?


Become a business owner, have lots of success, grow and expand the business, start another business and start making money...lots of it.


I was going to be a millionaire by the time I was 40 and retired by the time I was 45. Then I was going to travel and see the world.


Everything happened exactly how it was supposed to, the master plan orchestrated and on the path to fulfillment....until at the age of 35 I lost it all.


I lost my business, which ironically I hated anyway but never had the balls to confront my feelings due to the haze of Benjamin's which poured into my bank account.


I lost my second business simply for bad business decisions. I filed bankruptcy and a year later I gave my house back to the bank a victim of the housing freefall in Las Vegas.


And then I lost my marriage...still the saddest part of the whole master plan.


At then, 42, if you would have said this was going to be my life when I was 32, I would have arrogantly scoffed at such an erroneous thought.


So, I moved to Africa, a bit on a whim, a bit running away, a lot searching for my soul as I was beginning to doubt I ever was in possession of a soul.


Where do I see myself in 5 years? Hopefully surrounded by great friends, love from family both natural born and otherwise and at peace with my life and how I live it. Money, location, stuff really none of it matters....been there, done that.


Where do I see myself in 20 years? Really? The best I can say is....riding a bike, somewhere. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment