Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 4 of 30 -- A Habit I Wish I Didn't Have

In high school I once researched and wrote an 11 page term paper the weekend before it was due.

I would do the homework due for the next class during the prior class lecture.

I always get my work done and have always delivered the best, however, it was often at the expense of sleep and the stability of my finicky stomach, where all my stress settles in and is eventually released.  

My name is Kimberly and I'm a procrastinator. 

I have been to a multitude of business/self-help/goal setting/time management seminars and the fact remains I work best under pressure and pressure is self induced by my love of procrastination.  I have deluded myself into believing that procrastination actually focuses my ADD brain.  The majority of the time I'm doing 15 things simultaneously.  When I have to focus on one task I stray, mentally and physically, until the 11th hour.  Then, the ADD forces subside and I become laser focused because my overriding attribute is fear of failure or doing poorly.  The ADD partygoers pass out and Ms. Focus steps into the arena.  The only reason, procrastination.

Part of the reason for this 30 Day Challenge is that when I promise to do something I will do it, especially something so dialed in like the next 30 days.  I will write no matter the internet access, the travel schedule or civil war.  Thankfully I'm not blogging from Egypt or Tunisia.  


I may blog at 7:45pm or 11:57pm but it will be done.


So, is procrastination then really a bad habit if it serves a purpose for which it is was entirely unintended and the results are generally positive?


I think I'll keep it around for a bit longer....at least until the next deadline!



No comments:

Post a Comment