Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 10 of 30 -- Songs I Listen To

It's funny how music used to be so much a part of my life.  I played piano and saxophone and I loved going to concerts.  There was always music playing in my house.  Since I moved to Africa there has been very little music.  The only time I really listen to music is when I ride in Rwanda.  I need a little encouragement tuneage after I get dropped!


If you scroll through my iPod, which hasn't been updated since I was back home last September, you will find an incredibly diverse collection.  I listen to everything from country, to classical, to 80's hair (my fav) to Kid Rock and Linkin Park.  What I am missing is new music.  I am so far behind the times when it comes to what is current.  You cannot buy songs on iTunes in Rwanda or Kenya and they have recently begun blocking a lot of the youtube songs due to the proliferate pirating of music and movies that goes on in Africa.  

Songs do carry a lot of meaning for me.  I need to get back to my love of songs and the sentiment they carry for me.

When I am riding Daughtry is always high on my play list, all the songs on Leave this Town are great riding material with the exception of September.  That one brings back memories that are still difficult for me.  That's a "skipper" for me, for now.


Cavo, a new band I was turned on to when I was home last I LOVE for riding, seriously hard core riding tunes.  If I'm pushing up a big hill I put on Cavo and let the album shuffle.  Linkin Park, Meteor also has the same effect.


Bon Jovi tends to be my happy/inspirational music.  Live Before You Die I play over and over when I am having tough days in Africa, when I just want to come home to "easy".  

You learn to love to live
You fight and you forgive
You learn what's wrong and right
You live before you die

I made mistakes I caught some breaks
But I got not regrets
There's some things I don't remember
But one thing I don't forget

When you're young you always think
The sun is going to shine
One day you're going to have to say hello to goodbye
Shout it out let someone somewhere
Know that you're alive
Take these words wear them well
Live before you die

I was playing this song over and over in my helmet riding on the back of a motorcycle through Tanzania this Christmas.  As I looked at the amazing landscape, a country that truly epitomizes the "Out of Africa" view, I felt that I was living every moment and was so thankful for the things I have seen and done.  Another Bon Jovi inspiration song for me is It's My Life.


This ain't a song for the brokenhearted
No silent prayer for the faith departed
And I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice when I shout it out loud

It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just wanna live while I'm alive

.....You better stand tall
When they're calling you out
Don't bend, don't break
Baby, don't back down


I remember going through this tiny town in the middle of nowhere Tanzania and people along the road were all smiling and waving as the five motorbikes went through their town and I remember laughing as AC/DC Back in Black started playing.  The irony.  


One new song I recently heard that make me a touch sad, but also make me think about decisions in my life and living a life of no regrets and forgiveness and moving is Taylor Swift's, Back to December.


It's always amazing how one song can take me back in time instantly to a memory associated with that song.  I can hear the start of a song and immediately be transported to 1988, 1997 or 2006.  That is what I love most about music.  


As sappy as it might be one of my favorite songs is David Cook's, The Time of My Life.  I guess it has a bit more meaning to me because he grew up in a town not far from where I grew up in Kansas City.  It always makes me smile to see people seize their dreams and live their life large!




No comments:

Post a Comment