Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 2 of 30 - The Meaning Behind My Blog Name

Vagabond Girl Adventures...I knew what I was thinking when I changed the name of my blog back in September after living a year and a half abroad.  It used to be the "Amazing Adventures..." and I still have amazing adventures, however, it's now at a completely differently level.

Dictionary.com defines "Vagabond" as:

wandering from place to place without any settled home; nomadic: a vagabond tribe.
 
leading an unsettled or carefree life.
 
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a vagabond: vagabond habits.

having an uncertain or irregular course or direction: a vagabond voyage.
 
I fit this definition at the moment.  I am about to embark on a significant period of "homelessness".  I own a car, a bike and can fit everything else I own in two large suitcases.  When I leave Nairobi after my contract ends with WBR I will be staying with friends in Las Vegas, California, Utah, Aspen and housesitting for my sister for a month and a half in DC.  I do not have a "job" other than helping raise funds for Team Rwanda after March.  I am just going to see where this next phase in life takes me.  I am wandering, but wandering with a purpose.
I really like the Wikipedia version of Vagabond:

A vagabond or “drifter” is an itinerant person. The word is derived from the Latin adjective vagabundus, “inclined to wander”, from the verb vagor, “wander”. It does not denote a member of a nomadic people, but rather an individual who follows a wandering lifestyle within a sedentary society. Such people may be called drifters, tramps, or rogues. A vagabond is characterized by almost continuous traveling, lacking a fixed home, temporary abode, or permanent residence. Vagabonds are not bums, as bums are not known for traveling, preferring to stay in one location.

"An individual who follows a wandering lifestyle within a sedentary society."  I think I picked the perfect name for my blog.

I started this blog with a picture of Max and I at a border somewhere in Africa.  I hadn't showered, everything I had fit in a side bag on a motorcycle and I was traveling 12 days through 9 countries on the back of a BMW1150GS with friends.  To some this would seem excruciating, to me, it was the adventure of a lifetime.

Live Simply, Give More, Expect Less
 
A look at just some of the places life has taken me this past year...

No comments:

Post a Comment