Friday, May 1, 2009

Over in an Instant....

Half a world away I learned about the death of Danny Gans, a Las Vegas entertainer. He wasn't just any entertainer, he was Entertainer of the Year, 11 years running but most importantly he embraced Las Vegas as his home. His family was part of our community. He employed my friends. He was very generous to Las Vegas, donating over $2 million dollars to charities throughout the valley and now he's gone.

52...is young...my new friend helping me find my way in Rwanda is 52.

If I doubted what I was doing quitting my job and leaving in search of adventure in Africa, I do not give it a seconds thought now. How could I? Danny had everything. He had the "all American dream". He had a successful show, money, family, he appeared healthy and now it's over. Danny Gans Lived Large. We all are given the same 24 hours in a day. Are we using it well or are we spending time watching reruns or reality shows? I could go to sleep in Africa tonight and never wake up, or I could go to sleep in Las Vegas and never wake up. At least in Africa when I go to bed, I know to the core of my soul, that at this moment in time, I'm doing exactly what I was destined to do and I am completely living my dream. Tonight I'll rest peacefully.

If you didn't wake up tomorrow morning, could you say the same?

1 comment:

  1. Danny Gans had a great sense of humor and general style; his passing is a huge loss

    ReplyDelete